Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Little red suburban house / Casinha vermelha dos subúrbios


Charming little houses of the suburbs, with their small and pleasant gardens and backyards ... How quiet should be life on them in the days these were still largely rural outskirts. Today, we still can see many like this, although it is almost certain that everything around them has changed, much has been built and the traffic and noise replaced the warmth.
Encantadoras casinhas dos subúrbios, com os seus pequenos e agradáveis jardins e quintais... Que vida sossegada se passaria nelas no tempo em que estes arrabaldes eram ainda praticamente rurais. Hoje ainda ainda se podem ver muitas como esta, embora seja quase certo que à sua volta tudo se modificou, muito se construiu e o trânsito e barulho constantes substituíram o aconchego.
Fabriano cold-pressed 7"x 5" - 140lb (18x12,5cm - 300g/m2) paper
Sold / Vendido

8 comments:

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

Terrific sketch and a rail fan's dream. As a kid, I remember my grandmother's apartment in the Bronx, NY. The EL train came by her window; what a clamor and rush of noise and vibrations. it was actually very exciting.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Those are memories one never forgets. I remember a certain house where my aunts lived, and the noise - music for me - echoing by all rooms, but especially the entrance hall, everytime a streetcar passed at the door.

Unknown said...

Amazing! Do you use a magnifying glass to get all those details? The daffodils look like daffodils not like the yellow blobs I would be painting. The rails of the street car are perfectly in perspective. Even the gray cat with its paws tucked underneath his chest is perfect. Amazing! *oops* I'm repeating myself.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Hi, Sheila,
I couldn't resist to paint the daffodils and other reminders of the Spring that is coming fast. From now until Summer, it is likely that my paintings will be invaded by flowers :).
These small yards are so full of delicious details that it is a true amusement to paint them. I don't need a magnifier for now, but I think I could use a pair of glasses, as my sight has seen better days...
Streetcars and it's rail layouts, as well as cats, are some of my favorite subjects. You will see more of them in the future, especially cats, I think...
Have a wonderful day!!!

Arménia Baptista said...

Trabalho bonito, é o seu, Paulo. Bonito e de uma minúcia...aquela bacia com a roupa... :)
Agradeço e retribuo as palavras lindas...
;))

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Obrigado, Arménia, está no bom caminho: As paisagens naturais e os belos tons de verde e terra parecem ser um terreno de eleição. Anseio por mais.

Julio Rodrigues said...

Tantos belos detalhes aqui…mas o velhote a regar as plantas na janela roubou a minha atenção…assim como o gato decorativo no telhado, o eléctrico…enfim, a lista é longa!
Outra multipla beleza.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Obrigado, Villager. Ainda é possível encontrar por aqui algumas destas pequenas casas, embora seja preciso recorrer à imaginação para reencontrar a tranquilidade que a imagem sugere...