Monday, February 2, 2009

An exchange of smiles / Uma troca de sorrisos


This couple saying goodbye after a quiet stroll in the neighborhood reminds me that Valentine's day is quickly approaching. I don't know nothing about the boy's expectations at this point, but I'm sure that the cat she is holding is much luckier, because not only he can spend lots of time in her arms, but also he has freedom to enter that delightful traditional house whenever he wants.
O casalinho que se despede após um calmo passeio no bairro faz-me lembrar que o Dia dos Namorados está aí a chegar. Desconheço quais as expectativas do rapaz nesta altura, mas decerto o gato que ela segura é mais sortudo, pois não só pode passar bastante tempo nos seus braços como tem liberdade para entrar sempre que queira naquela encantadora casa tradicional.
Fabriano cold-pressed 5"x7" - 140lb (18x12,5cm - 300g/m2) paper
Available in my Etsy shop / Disponível na minha loja Etsy

8 comments:

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

Charming picture Paulo. Stone steps into a home are almost unheard of in the states. I see the tradition of a good luck horse shoe is more international and much older then I had thought. I learn a lot from your paintings.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Horse shoes are still in use as a good luck symbol in some old houses.
Usually the ground floor is used for storage and, in the most rural areas, for animal shed, and the access steps to the first floor are usually from outside. Additional floors, if existing, may have an internal wooden staircase.

Unknown said...

O Paulo. Another jewel. When I click on your pic to see the enlarged version I feel like I'm opening up a Christmas present. This time, I see all those perfectly placed roof shingles and road stones. I saw the light through two windows of the house. I saw the smug cat seemingly saying, " ha, now I'm going home with her." I love your pieces.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

I feel very happy, Sheila, for all the attention you give to details and your Christmas present feeling: This gives me a Santa Claus responsability, so a new one is already under making in my "workshop", where I spend happy moments painting with my cats around, if not in my shoulder... If nothing goes wrong, I expect to deliver it in two or three days.
Have a wonderful week!

Rafael Carvalho said...

Tabique e mais tabique...
Parece uma imagem retirada da aldeia de Ucanha, que recomendo que visite.
Cumprimentos.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Estive lá uma vez há muitos anos, mas não passei da conhecida ponte. Acho que terei perdido o "melhor da festa"...
Vou lá voltar de certeza!

Julio Rodrigues said...

O bichano parece estar a dizer ao rapaz para desaparecer da cena...quem o pode condenar? Eu faria o mesmo.
Outra festa para os sentidos.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Até eu, amigo Villager... A esta hora estaria a ronronar :)