Thursday, February 26, 2009

A colorful street / Uma rua colorida


A short trip to some villages just south of the Douro Wine Region has been an infinite source of inspiration, as there are some of the finest examples of its characteristic vernacular architecture, often painted in bright colors, and with sufficient details for a good couple of hours walking and observing.
This work has been more time-consuming than usual, because my good old brush that so many hours of joy has given to me is already unsuitable for certain details, so a new and rather thinner “actor” entered in stage to give it a help and, although being a refreshing novelty always pleasant for a painter, demands a little bit more time to give its best.
Uma pequena viagem a algumas povoações ligeiramente a sul da região vinhateira do Douro revelou-se uma fonte infinita de inspiração, uma vez que por ali se encontram alguns dos mais belos exemplares da sua característica arquitectura vernácula, muitas vezes pintados de cores vivas, e com detalhes suficientes para se passar um bom par de horas deambulando e observando.
Este trabalho revelou-se mais demorado do que o habitual, pois o meu bom velho pincel que tantas horas de alegria me tem dado já está demasiado gasto para certos detalhes, tendo entrado em cena um novo “actor” algo mais fino para o ajudar e que, constituindo uma refrescante novidade sempre agradável para quem pinta, exige um pouco mais de tempo para dar o melhor de si.
Fabriano cold-pressed 7"x 5" - 140lb (18x12,5cm - 300g/m2) paper
Available in my Etsy shop / Disponível na minha loja Etsy

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Just when I was getting desparate for my 'fix' for a Paulo Painting, I saw you posted a new one.

Paulo... when I enlarged it, I actually spoke an audible "oh Wow!" when I saw the roof lines and the sky. As I scanned down the painting I felt like I was standing on the street and actually in the scene. This might have to go on top of my list. The little boy on the step with his head cocked to one side holding his yellow car. The plumber(?) looking for the address on the way to his job. The kindly neighbor lady sweeping her front step and giving you a smile. Another up in her room reading, sewing or knitting. Of course you have the dog waiting for his treat. I love it! Can you tell?

Unknown said...

okay... I was going on and on and forgot to mention the very thing that made me go 'wow'! It is all the detail in the windows and the eaves of the roof overhang. It is that attention to detail that gives your paintings such life. Also, now that I found the cat perched looking at the dog, I have to say this is my favorite.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

You made me smile with your accurate description, Sheila. I'm so happy that I can share with you some of my own impressions from my Saturday's short trip to a couple of villages similar to this one. I could even chat for a while with some really kind ladies similar to the ones in this street :))
I'll be posting some photos of that trip in my other blog for the next two weeks. Even it is in Portuguese, you can always check and see the real places that inspired this painting.
Speak to you soon!

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

Terrific Paulo, a very intimate and intriguing space is created by the narrow street and tall buildings.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Stephen. These short and narrow streets are so full of secrets and small details...

Julio Rodrigues said...

Esta cena maravilhosa lembrou-me das belas aguarelas de Roque Gameiro retratando as ruelas de Lisboa antiga.
Aqui temos um manancial de multiplas belezas. Parabens.

Mineke Reinders said...

..and so life goes on, is the comforting feeling I get when looking at your paintings. People of all ages, a cat basking in the sunlight, a dog begging for a treat, an old lady sweeping up, potted plants cheering up passers-by. Watching these while sipping a glass of wine from the Douro region (a rare treat to be savored around these parts for sure) is one of the pleasures of life.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Creio, Villager, que nas ruelas de Salzedas e Ucanha, que inspiraram este trabalho, ainda existe algo da atmosfera daqueles tempos...
É uma visita inspiradora que lhe recomendo vivamente!

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Mineke, I absolutely agree with you, and it makes me so happy that I can share a little bit of that spirit. There are no bigger pleasures in life than the simplest ones.
The Douro wine is something to be slowly savoured, as the Douro region itself.
I found this wonderful video that shows all the poetry and magic of Douro: http://www.vimeo.com/3152816
Hope you like it!

Rafael Carvalho said...

Ucanha, Salzedas,...
Sinto-me satisfeito por um dia ter sugerido uma visita a estas povoações, desconhecidas para 99,99999999% dos portugueses...
Bom fim-de-semana.

Anonymous said...

Another lovely scene Paulo, I love the way you capture the strange angles and perspective you get in our Mediterranean villages. I have the same challenges here in Italy.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Eu próprio irei "passando a palavra" no sentido de dar a conhecer estas duas maravilhas.
Bom fim-de-semana!

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Neal, for your words: I can guess you may also find plenty of architectural wonders to inspire you in beautiful Italy: We are both lucky for living in such countries.