Sunday, April 19, 2009

A visitor / Uma visita


At the courtyard of an old farmhouse, all activities take place, and every kind of stuff and tools gets accumulated there. It's also the place where, at the end of one of those luminous days that paint the Minho province with color, a visit comes in for a chat.
No pátio de uma velha casa de quinta têm lugar todas as actividades possíveis, e vai-se acumulando toda a espécie de tralha e utensílios. É também o lugar onde, ao final de um daqueles dias risonhos que pintam o Minho de cor, uma visita aparece para dois dedos de conversa.
Fabriano cold-pressed 5"x 7" - 140lb (12,5x18cm - 300g/m2) paper
Available in my Etsy shop / Disponível na minha loja Etsy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know how you do it Paulo. You do these mostly from your imagination right? It's amazing how you are able to paint the way the dog turns and looks at the visitor, the hens pecking away and the vine just starting to take over the trellis. What also boggles my mind are those teeny tiny details of the houses waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the background!

Paulo J. Mendes said...

I visit often some rural places, and that gives me a chance to pay attention to small details, as well as the landscape I can see from the road when I go there. You would be surprised how this kind of scene is still frequent :)

GlorV1 said...

I love that you tell the story of what you have painted. That is very inspiring. This is a beautiful painting Paulo. Everything is in it's place and that's what makes this come alive. The family pet member is there with his parent and turns over to listen to what the guest is saying. The chickens are just pecking away and there's a little water metal or tin bowl that seems to have water in it. Wow! If I could paint like this, I would definitely be the happiest gal in the world. Thx for sharing Paulo. Have a great week.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Gloria, you didn't miss a single detail :) These small evidences of daily life are some of the things that attract me the most in these places: They are not the kind of stuff a designer would choose to create a decorative atmosphere, and yet they all look so well there.