Saturday, February 28, 2009

How I work / Como é que trabalho


I've been busy these days and my latest paintings aren't advancing so fast as I would like to, so I decided to post something different today: This will keep the blog in motion, and at the same time I can share a little bit of my working methods.
The picture shows my latest work in progress. Actually, you can see three works: The one in the bottom is the real one, just ready to be painted, something that has happened meanwhile at the time of writing.
Usually after the first sketch I get an idea of how it will look when painted, and all the work is done following that path, although this is not a strict rule.
So I start with a sketch from imagination, the one in the top left. I can make it at any time and on any paper. Some happened in the back of phone bills, others in ordinary drawing paper. Sometimes they come out at first, sometimes after lots of painful attempts and erasures, and more than once they didn't come out at all in that day, or simply I didn't like and rejected them. This one came out quite easily:)
Then I re-draw it more accurately with a fine pen in translucent paper over the sketch, as you can see at the top right. Details start shaping. I draw it again in the reverse of this paper with a sharp pencil and then I press it into the watercolor paper in order to transfer it.
Then... With the same sharp pencil, I draw again over the weak transfered lines to enhance them and all the details. Unlike the previous one, this part of the process is very pleasing: While I enjoy the smooth touch of the sharp pencil in the paper, the definite picture appears. At this point I may change, include or exclude details from the previous drawings: Clicking in the image, you can see that I replaced the "shellfish" slate coating on the house at the right, because I decided that it would look nicer with plain metal sheet...
Sketch, translucent paper, reverse of translucent paper, enhancement in the watercolor paper... This scene, as all the others, was drawn four times before being painted!...
In the future I intend to post a few sketches of works still to come, as I have usualy one or two in advance: I think it will be interesting for you to guess how they will look after painted, and then compare with the final result!
Tenho andado ocupado por estes dias e os meus trabalhos mais recentes não têm avançado tão rapidamente como desejaria, pelo que decidi "postar" algo diferente hoje: Assim, mantém-se o blogue em movimento e simultaneamente posso partilhar aqui um pouco do meu método de trabalho.
A foto mostra o mais recente trabalho em curso: Na verdade, podem ver-se três trabalhos. O de baixo é o definitivo, imediatamente antes de começar a ser pintado, coisa que entretanto já aconteceu no momento da escrita.
Normalmente, depois do primeiro esboço, já tenho uma ideia de como o trabalho fica depois de pintado, e tento seguir essa imagem o mais possível, embora esta não seja uma regra rígida.
Começo então com esse esboço imaginado, tal como o de cima à esquerda. Faço-o em qualquer papel. Alguns nasceram nas costas de facturas telefónicas, outras em vulgar papel "cavalinho". Por vezes o esboço sai à primeira, outras após dolorosas tentativas e apagadelas, e mais de uma vez não saem de todo naquele dia, ou simplesmente rejeito-os porque não gostei. O da imagem saiu com certa facilidade.
Depois redesenho com mais detalhe com um marcador fino em papel transparente por cima do esboço, como se vê em cima à direita. Detalhes começam a tomar forma. Volto a desenhar no verso deste papel com um lápis de mina e pressiono esta parte sobre o papel de aguarela para transferir o desenho.
Com o mesmo lápis de mina, volto então a desenhar sobre as ténues linhas transferidas para realçar os traços e pormenores. Ao contrário da fase anterior, esta é bastante agradável: Adoro a suavidade do contacto do dito lápis no papel, e o desenho definitivo começa a aparecer. Por vezes incluo, excluo ou modifico detalhes: Clicando na imagem, pode ver-se que substituí os soletos de ardósia na casa da direita porque achei que ficava melhor revestida de chapa lisa...
Esboço, papel vegetal, verso do papel vegetal, reforço no papel de aguarela... Esta cena, tal como as outras, foi desenhada quatro vezes antes de ser pintada!
Futuramente tenciono publicar alguns esboços de trabalhos que estão para vir, pois costumo ter sempre um ou dois de avanço... Penso que será interessante adivinharem como vão ficar depois de pintados, e depois comparar com o resultado final!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... Paulo. I'd like to say you way undercharge for your beautiful paintings because of all the work you put in. I won't though because I haven't bought my first one. You can raise your prices after that.
;o)

Paulo J. Mendes said...

It's a kind of work I do with the highest pleasure, Sheila. It seems a long slow process, but if I was a full-time painter, I think that I could make one painting a day. Maybe in the future, I would be happy to...
I'll raise the prices one day, not too much at a time, but for now I am happy to provide nice and affordable art to anyone worldwide.

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

Fascinating Paulo, I would not have imagined so many steps were involved. The explanation adds even more interest in the art you make.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Stephen. I wanted to post something different than just adding new works, and this was a good chance for that: I'll add more variety in the future!

RobCarey said...

Thanks for sharing the process, Paulo. This is so interesting seeing how you go about developing a painting.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Rob. I will post more like this in the future. We all can learn so much from each other...

Julio Rodrigues said...

Muito interessante e instructivo. Confirmou-se a minha suspeita que muito trabalho e dedicação são necessários para produzir estas gemas.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

O prazer que este trabalho me dá é tanto, que quase me sinto "culpado" por estar a trabalhar e simultaneamente a divertir-me :-)

Rafael Carvalho said...

Pela qualidade do produto final, tinha consciência que havia muito trabalho. Contudo, confesso não imaginar ser tanto!...

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Por cada pintura, são quatro ou cinco serõezinhos muito bem passados e, quando é possível, um pedaço de tempo extra arrancado a outra altura do dia. De uma forma ou de outra, sabe sempre a pouco...