Saturday, October 25, 2008

The passenger of the trolley / O passageiro do eléctrico


Trolleys - or trams, if you're reading this in England - are one of my favourite subjects and I'll be back to them in future works. This one was inspired by a time in which they used to run across many streets of Porto and surroundings. Fortunately it is still possible to revive those memories in the heritage lines at the city centre and riverside.
We can't tell if the solitary pedestrian that returns home in a sunny Sunday afternoon really came out of the trolley, as he seems too far, but the title of this work goes well with him.
Eléctricos são um dos meus temas favoritos e hei-de voltar a eles nestes trabalhos. O que aqui vemos foi inspirado nos tempos em que percorriam boa parte das ruas do Porto e arredores. Hoje em dia, felizmente, ainda é possível avivar essas memórias nas linhas históricas do centro da cidade e zona ribeirinha.
Não sabemos se o solitário transeunte que aqui vemos regressando a casa numa soalheira tarde de Domingo terá de facto descido do eléctrico, dada a distância entre ambos, mas o título deste trabalho assenta-lhe bem.

Fabriano cold-pressed 5"x7" - 90lb (18x12,5cm - 200g/m2) paper
Sold / Vendido

6 comments:

Julio Rodrigues said...

Parece que o caminhante pondera o fim do fim-de-semana e mais uma semana de luta.
Muito boa, a atmosfera desta pintura.
Boa semana.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Para ficar uma atmosfera de Domingo perfeita, devia tê-lo posto de rádio encostado ao ouvido, a escutar os relatos de futebol :-)
Uma boa semana!

RobCarey said...

Great colors, perspective, "story" in this piece. I'm really enjoying your blog and look forward to more.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you, Rob. I must return you those words, as I am delighted everytime I visit yours.

Mineke Reinders said...

I remember riding the trolleys in Lisboa, they are wonderful, as is your painting. There is a gentleness about your paintings that is very appealing. Great work.

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Thank you Mineke. I try to create an atmosphere in my paintings as positive as my memories are, and I have very good ones from many trolley rides.